Police arrest 31-year-old in alleged sexual attacks at gunpoint in Savin Hill area
Boston Police arrested a 31-year-old Sydney Street man on Monday morning in connection with a series of violent attacks early on Sunday morning in Savin Hill, including the rape of one woman who was assaulted at gunpoint near the corner of Savin Hill Avenue and Saxton Street just after 2 a.m.
Walter Mains is considered the chief suspect in the rape, which took place around 2 a.m. Sunday, but has not yet been charged with that specific crime, according to Boston Police. Mains was charged with assault with intent to rape for a separate incident, which also took at about 3 a.m. near the intersection of Dorchester Avenue and Harbor View Street. He also faces charges for a third incident, which took place at about 1:40 a.m. on Savin Hill Avenue.
“This is a very dangerous man,” said Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis, who announced the arrest on Monday morning.
Mains has a history of trouble: He was out on bail following an incident earlier this month for which he was charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct. He was charged in Roxbury court for a 2009 attempted rape, but District Attorney Daniel Conley’s office says the case was dismissed after the victim “chose not to take part in the proceedings, leaving prosecutors without sufficient evidence to proceed further.” Conley’s office says that Mains is on probation for a pair of 2009 purse snatchings, for which he served 18 months in prison.
At his arraignment in Dorchester District Court on Tuesday, Mains’s open bail was revoked and he was held on an additional $50,000 cash bail. Mains was officially charged with assault and annoying or accosting a person of the opposite sex for one incident and, in the second, he is charged with armed robbery, assault with intent to rape, and indecent assault and battery.
Davis said that an alert probation officer, having heard the description of the suspect, helped provide information that led to Mains’s capture.
Elaine Driscoll, a Boston Police spokesperson, said that investigators are still in the process of conducting interviews and awaiting DNA results in the rape in which Mains is described as a suspect.
“Once that is complete, we will work with the DA’s office to determine how to proceed with additional charges,” she said.
Mains is due back in court on October 13.