Police say traffic stop turned violent; man almost got officer's gun

The Boston Police Department reports a traffic stop near Dorchester High School Saturday afternoon turned into a violent struggle for one officer's gun with a man who vowed not to go back to prison - from which he'd just been released after serving a sentence for beating guards at the Essex County jail with a fan, a broomstick and a mop handle.

Police say officers pulled Jurrell Laronal, 26, of Dorchester, over on Armandine Street near Dorchester High School around 2:10 p.m. when they queried his license plate and learned the owner of the car had a suspended license. Eventually, police ordered Laronal out of the car and began to frisk him:

"During the frisk, officers felt a plastic object inside the suspect's front pocket. As officers attempted to remove the object, the suspect responded violently and began kicking and punching the officers. Given the high level of resistance offered by the suspect coupled with the officer's inability to handcuff the suspect, officers called for additional units to respond to the scene. While awaiting backup, the fight and struggle to subdue the suspect continued. Time and time again, officers delivered lawful commands instructing the suspect to stop resisting and fighting. Instead of complying, the suspect continued to battle. At one point, one of the officers felt the suspect reach for his department issued firearm. Upon feeling the suspect reach around his body and grab the handle of his firearm, the officer, fearing for his life and safety, did everything in his power to thwart the suspect's efforts to secure his firearm. Officers were able to pin the suspect against the car."

But, police say, Laronal kept fighting and officers had to use "open hand tactics and knee strikes as taught at the Boston Police Academy to subdue and handcuff him.

Meanwhile, police say, several nearby residents approached the scene and demanded police stop beating Laronal and whipped out cell phones to record them. Police say the residents continued to "taunt" the officers throughout the arrest.

Laronal was ultimately charged with operating with a suspended license, possession with intent to distribute Class-A drugs, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer.

In 2006, Laronal was one of seven inmates in solitary confinement at the Essex County House of Correction in Middleton charged with jumping and beating guards who'd just let them out of their cells for showers in an attack that involved "handcuffs, shackles, body chains and a chair, as well as brooms and a plunger," according to the Salem News.

Laronal pleaded guilty and got 2 1/2 to 4 years in prison added to his original 18-month jail sentence.


Javascript is required to view this map.