Two convicted in '10 ambush murder of Nicholas Fomby-Davis, 14
Jun. 22, 2012
Two Dorchester men were convicted yesterday for the brutal shooting of 14 year-old Nicholas Fomby-Davis in May 2010. Joshua Fernandes, 19, and Crisostomo Lopes, 23, were both found guilty of first-degree murder by a Suffolk Superior Court jury after just four hours of deliberation.
Lopes and Fernandes will be sentenced today. Their conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without parole.
Prosecutors proved that the two men— associates of a gang from Homes Ave.— targeted Fomby-Davis and teamed up to grab him off his scooter near the corner of Bowdoin St. and OIney St. Fernandes fired the four shots that killed the boy. The attack was apparently revenge for a near-accidnent between Lopes and Fomby-Davis' older brother, who had been riding the scooter earlier. Lopes and Fernandes lay in wait for the scooter to return.
“This was, in a sense, a case of mistaken identity,” said DA Dan Conley. “These defendants planned on killing the operator of that scooter, and instead they killed his younger brother. But this case would have been every bit as senseless, every bit as sickening, if they had shot their intended target.
"There was no feud. There was no rivalry. There was no bad blood. There were just two gang members with easy access to a gun and absolutely no regard for human life.”
An off-duty Boston Police officer —Anthony Davis— was driving in the area and spotted Lopes and Fernandes lurking in the area just before the shooting. He observed the attack and led the pursuit that ended in the pair's arrest.
Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said, “I would like to especially recognize Police Officer Anthony Williams for intervening in this murderous assault. I am particularly gratified that the jury rejected the outrageous claims made by defense council.”
“My thoughts and prayers are with the Fomby-Davis family today. I sincerely hope that today’s guilty verdicts help them cope with their tragic loss," the commissioner said.