Menino, Galvin advise early departures as snow flies
Dec. 17, 2013
Acting Gov. William Galvin announced at 12:45 p.m. that non-essential state employees may leave work at 1:30 p.m., citing the snowstorm that began moving into the Boston area around noon. Galvin also encouraged private sector employers to consider releasing their employees in an attempt to give them enough time to reach home by 4 p.m., when he predicted the storm’s intensity will make travel more difficult.
In his full statement, Galvin said, “Because of deteriorating weather conditions I have made a determination to release all non-emergency state employees early at 1:30pm today. I am also asking private employers in the Greater Boston area to consider releasing their employees earlier in order for them to reach their homes by 4:00pm when the intensity of the storm in likely to make travel difficult. As an alternative other travel could be deferred until after 7:00pm. Additionally MBTA service will be provided this afternoon and the HOV lane will be open at 1:30pm.”
Just before noon, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino issued a statement urging residents and commuters to travel cautiously with three to five inches of snow expected, requesting that commuters do their best to avoid traveling on roads between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
“Today’s storm poses a threat for gridlock during the evening commute,” Menino said. Gov. Deval Patrick was in Singapore Tuesday finishing up ten-day trade trip that also included stops in Japan and Hong Kong.