Reporter's Notebook: Jackson reelection bid gets gubernatorial boost
Gov. Deval Patrick on Tuesday headlined a fundraiser for his former aide, City Councillor Tito Jackson. The District 7 councillor, who worked on Patrick’s reelection campaign in 2010, is up for reelection this year, after winning a vacant seat in 2011 that opened up when Councillor Chuck Turner was convicted of accepting a bribe and lying to a FBI agent, and was bounced off the Council.
Jackson is facing opposition from Roy Owens, a perennial candidate, and local activist Jamarhl Crawford, who is waging a write-in campaign. There was no September preliminary in the district.
“Yes, he’s fun,” Patrick told a crowd of several dozen supporters inside the Harborside Lounge. “Yes, he’s lovable. And do not get between him and a fried turkey…but that’s not the reason we keep coming out.”
Patrick said Jackson is “governing for the long term” and he is “strictly business.” Added the governor, “I do not expect this thing to be the last thing he does.”
Jackson thanked the governor, and piggy-backing on Patrick’s statement, said the governor’s last stop in public life is unlikely to be the Corner Office. The comment, perhaps a reference to chatter that Patrick may one day run for the White House, drew chuckles from the crowd.
In his remarks, Jackson also pointed to the 141 shootings in Boston since the Marathon bombings, saying the victims are “just as needing” of a One Fund, which was set up to support Marathon bombing victims.
The event drew a number of current, former, and aspiring politicians, including former US Sen. Mo Cowan, who has worked as Gov. Patrick’s chief of staff, Suffolk Sheriff Steve Tompkins, state Rep. Jay Livingstone (D-Beacon Hill) and Chelsea City Councillor Calvin Brown. Jackson also made note of several candidates for office who were in attendance: City Councillor At-Large John Connolly, who is running for mayor; Suzanne Lee, who is running for the District 2 seat and opposing incumbent Bill Linehan, with whom Jackson has clashed; and South End attorney Jeff Ross, who is running for one of the four City Council At-Large seats. “We need more good, hardworking people to run for office,” said Jackson, who told the Reporter he has not made an endorsement in the mayoral race.
The crowd also included the developer Robert Beal and the real estate investor Sam Slater.
Dorchester’s Ward 15 panel to discuss mayoral endorsement at meeting on Sunday
The Ward 15 Democratic Committee on Sunday will consider endorsing one of the two candidates in the race for mayor. The committee is scheduled to meet at 2 p.m. this Sunday, Oct. 6 at the Savin Hill Apartments at 130 Auckland Street. Both candidates – Councillor Connolly of West Roxbury and Dorchester state Rep. Marty Walsh – have been invited to address the committee or to send surrogates.
District 2 forum set for tonight
District 2 Councillor Linehan and his opponent, Suzanne Lee, are expected to attend a forum at the Boston Public Library tonight that is being sponsored by the Neighborhood Association. It will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Commonwealth Salon. After falling 97 votes shy of toppling Linehan in 2011, Lee is making another bid this year. David Jacobs, the editor and publisher of the Boston Courant, will moderate.
Ballot order set for Council at-large races
Martin Keogh, a West Roxbury attorney, will be at the top of the eight-person at-large ballot on Nov. 5. The city elections department earlier this week held a ballot position drawing and set the order, pulling names out of a golden tumbler. Jack Kelly of Charlestown, Annissa Essaibi George of Dorchester, and former City Councillor At-Large Michael Flaherty of South Boston will be listed at second, third and fourth, respectively, followed by Councillors At-Large Ayanna Pressley of Dorchester in the fifth slot and newcomer Michelle Wu of the South End in sixth place. Councillor At-Large Stephen Murphy of Hyde Park is in the seventh position ahead of the attorney Jeff Ross of the South End.
On the mayoral ballot featuring John Connolly and Marty Walsh, Connolly has the top slot.
Capuano: No governor bid
Congressman Michael Capuano will not be running for governor next year. Capuano had been mulling a bid, since Gov. Patrick is not running for a third term next year. Meanwhile, the Democratic field has continued to grow, and includes state Attorney General Martha Coakley and state Treasurer Steve Grossman, among others.
Capuano, the former mayor of Somerville, made his announcement last week. “After taking time to reflect with my family, I have decided that I will not be a candidate for governor in 2014,” Capuano said in a statement. “I am truly touched by the support and encouragement I received throughout this process, but believe that I can best serve the Commonwealth in Congress. I will continue to be a strong voice for progressive policies in Washington.”
Capuano was elected to the national Houses in 1999. His District includes Dorchester, which he shares with Congressman Stephen Lynch, along with Chelsea, Randolph, Everett, Somerville, and parts of Cambridge and Milton.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Check out updates to Boston’s political scene at The Lit Drop, located at dotnews.com/litdrop. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter: @LitDrop and @gintautasd.