Four students at King School taken for checkups after downing medications, vitamins one brought in from home

Four students at the Martin Luther King Jr. K-8 School on Lawrence Avenue were transported to the hospital for checkups on Tuesday after they shared pills and vitamins one of them brought in from home.

All four turned out to be fine, principal Khita Pottinger said in a phone message to parents this afternoon. The school department provided a transcript of her message:

"Hello, this is Khita Pottinger, principal of the King K-8 School. I am calling to let you know why your child may have seen ambulances at our school today. This morning we learned that a child brought their parent's prescription medication as well as some vitamins into school, and gave them to three other children, who swallowed them. These medications were for blood pressure, cholesterol, as well as ordinary vitamins. As soon as we learned about this, we called ambulances [for] these students, and paramedics took them to Boston Medical Center as a precaution and we called their parents right away. We are happy to tell you that everyone is fine and there do not appear to be any health issues -- no one had any reaction to the medication as far as we know. Since then, we have spoken with every child in school today individually to see if anyone else had taken the pills. We believe that this was limited to this group of four students. However, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to speak with me or stop by the school office, and of course feel free to reach out to your family doctor if you have any other questions or concerns as well. Thank you."

Tags:

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.