MBTA gears up for March 28 launch of late-night service pilot
Mar. 13, 2014
MBTA weekend service into the wee hours will start March 28, the Patrick administration plans to announce at a Cambridge subway station Thursday.
“We’re excited to see how customers respond. I think the response will be good,” Transportation Secretary Richard Davey told the News Service.
The one-year pilot will run subways, trolleys and 15 select bus routes on Fridays and Saturdays, until about 2:30 a.m. depending on the line and the station, Davey said.
The MBTA has sought sponsors for the novel service, and when the administration announced its plans for the late-night service in early December, the Boston Globe had agreed in principle to be a sponsor. Davey said the T has secured a “handful” of donors which will be announced at the Kendall Square event.
Davey said while much has been made of how the late-night service will affect Boston nightlife, there will be an equal benefit for blue collar and service industry workers who get out of work after the T stops running.
The pilot will involve the hiring of about 120 people and cost about $15 million to $20 million before fare revenue and sponsorships are factored in, Davey said.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced a proposal earlier this month to keep bars open past 3 a.m.
“Obviously we hope the service will complement what the mayor’s trying to do,” Davey said. He said he didn’t think Walsh’s plan for even later bar service would clash with the MBTA’s pilot for keeping trains running later.
While the neighborhood has bloomed with new construction and businesses, Kendall Square businesses have indicated there has not been a commensurate rise in automobile traffic.