Home / View from Pope's Hill /

The Blossoms of May

“The beauteous pansies rise
In purple, gold, and blue,
With tints of rainbow hues,
Mocking the sunset skies.”
By Thomas John Ouseley

Pansies are one of my favorite types of flowers. The ones we bought about a month ago still sit on our front porch, ready to be planted in a large pot. It has been too cold to sit outside and get them into a pot. We bought two new rose bushes that are sitting in a bucket with a little water on the bottom. They are doing beautifully since we bought them. We usually lose at least one rose bush each winter so we will have to inspect the yard to find the dead one or maybe even two. Our forsythia bushes are still magnificent – a gorgeous golden yellow. The bushes are now joined by red tulips that have sprouted right in front of them. Hubby took photos of the bright red tulips against the yellow bushes. Sadly we had to take down our white electric bunny with the pink ears and also the pink lights that adorned the porch railing. We put them away for next year.

Back to the Red Jacket on opening weekend 2011: On Saturday morning, we didn’t get up until 7 a.m., which is late for us. We dressed in warm clothing and were ready for breakfast. Hubby and I always choose the breakfast package when we make reservations because the resort is noted for its wonderful breakfasts. It was just the two of us so we were seated by one of the windows. Even though the weather was not good, the flowers along the pathways and around the pool area looked wonderful from our seats. There was a buffet so I took advantage of that. I loved that bacon and scrambled eggs, my favorite choices, were on the buffet menu, along with an assortment of fresh fruit. Hubby splurged and chose his usual vacation fare, Eggs Benedict. At home we eat much healthier food, such as oatmeal or a cold cereal each day.

No sooner had we finished eating but daughter Sue joined us. She brought with her the Boston daily papers. (Down the Cape, the Globe and Herald newspapers cost 50¢ more for each.) Sue told us that she had fed our outdoorcat Louie and her two indoor cats before she left. They would be O.K. till we arrived home on Sunday morning. Sue rested in our room while we went shopping. This morning we went toward Dennisport. We did stop at the Christmas Tree Shop in West Dennis, which is the first Christmas Tree Shop that we had ever visited more than 35 years ago. Our kids, when they were little, used to love shopping in that store because there was always some toy that we could buy that would amuse them.

After we left the Christmas Tree Shop, we drove to Dennisport to the Post Office. I love going in there because early on Saturday mornings, there are very few customers. After I bought Mother Teresa stamps (44¢ first class postage), I asked the clerk about the increases that had just taken effect the previous Monday in the cost of mailing a letter. He told me that any first class letter, if it exceeds one ounce, must now pay 20¢ additional postage for each ounce or part of an ounce. (Previously, the cost was 17¢ per additional ounce.) Then it was off to the Ocean State Job Lot Store, which took over the former Bradlees building in the old A & P plaza. That is a very nice store because it is spacious and less cluttered than some others. From there it was down to the Patriot Plaza on Route 134. Hubby went into the AAA Office. He came out with a big smile on his face. He was holding the latest AAA Atlas in his hand. Nephew Jeffrey, a soldier, along with his family, will be back in the U.S. from Korea and will be in Kansas on leave this summer. I think Hubby is plotting a trip to Kansas.

On the way back to Red Jacket, we stopped and had a burger at B.K. to tide us over till dinner. When we arrived back at the hotel, daughter Sue was waiting for us. We had already made plans to go to the 7 a.m. Mass on Palm Sunday. We didn’t have to wait till after the Saturday Mass before we went to dinner at the Hearth & Kettle Restaurant on Route 28.

We rested for a few hours before we went to dinner. The Hearth & Kettle Restaurant is a very short drive from our hotel. When we walked in, as usual, we asked for a table near a window so we could watch the birds at the birdfeeder and the ducks in the pond below the windows. Several years ago, a woman driver killed some of the geese from the pond as they crossed the road so there are many fewer waterfowl in the pond than before. (I know that she was caught and I am pretty sure she was fined for not stopping.) It was still great to see the ducks swimming around the pond. Our meals at the H&K Restaurant, as usual, were very good. We almost got dessert but we were stuffed after finishing our meals and decided not to splurge.

It was still light when we finished our dinners. Sue wanted to do a little shopping so we hit the Job Lot Store in Yarmouth. That store has quite a few gluten-free items so I bought some for daughter Jeanne. Thank goodness more and more supermarkets are catering to those on a gluten-free diet. Even the Christmas Tree Shops now have some gluten-free products. Sue left us about 9 p.m. and drove to her friend’s cottage in Dennisport where she was staying overnight. It was a little too late for Hubby to go to the hot tub so we just watched the 10 p.m. news and went to bed.

The next morning, we were up very early because we were going to the 7 o’clock Mass at St. Pius X Church. Sue knows where we usually sit in that church, so within a couple of minutes, she slid into the pew, next to her Dad. She looked like she had fallen in the ocean. Just as she stepped out of her car in the church parking lot, the heavens opened up and practically drowned everyone heading for the church. (We who were already in could hear the torrential rain beating down on the roof.) About five minutes after Mass started, there was another downpour.

After Mass was over, we drove carefully back to the hotel because some of the local streets had huge puddles. We dropped our jackets in our room and went straight to the dining room for breakfast. Hubby and I ordered repeats of our breakfasts from the previous day. Sue ordered blueberry pancakes. As soon as we had eaten, Hubby and I returned to our room and looked at the newspapers that we had bought on the way home from church. Sue went back to her friend’s cottage and decided to go back to bed for a few hours.

About 10:30 a.m., we thought we had better get back to Boston. Three hungry cats awaited our arrival. I had already paid the balance of our bill when we returned from church so all we had to do was leave the resort’s keys in our room. We did a little shopping at K Mart and CVS in Hyannis on the way home.
We encountered very little traffic on the highway so we arrived back in Boston about 12:45 p.m. Louie, our outdoor cat, heard our car come down the street and was waiting on the sidewalk as we pulled in front of our home. We brought our luggage in the house. Hubby fed Louie while I went to Sue’s home to feed her feline princesses, Cleo and Tia. Then it was time to unpack and wash all the clothes from the weekend. The only bad thing about our weekend on Cape Cod is that we were not there longer.

I was sorry to learn, at the Irish Pastoral Centre’s May luncheon, that Cora Flood’s brother Rory had passed away in Australia at age 39. Cora, the senior coordinator for the IPC, told me that he had melanoma. I am sure that I speak for all of us who attend the luncheon each month in sending our sympathy to Rory and Cora’s entire family. Cora mentioned that the Month’s Mind Mass for Rory would be held in Ireland on May 7. She also told us that the June Irish Pastoral Centre’s luncheon, originally scheduled for June 16, had to be changed to Thurs., June 23. The new date was made because the Irish Cultural Centre’s 21st Annual Irish Festival is to be held on June 17, 18, and 19 in Canton. The crews will be setting up tables and tents, etc., on the Canton grounds the day before the festival opens, our originally scheduled luncheon date.

The news this week has been phenomenal. Osama is dead, killed by Navy Seals last Sunday in Pakistan. On Sunday evening, Cousins Margie and Janet had called us to be sure we heard that Pres. Obama was going to speak about something very important at 10:30 p.m. We sat, glued to the TV. By the time that the president spoke closer to 11:30 p.m., Hubby and I had fallen asleep, Hubby on the sofa, and I in my chair. We woke up, just about 11:30 p.m. to hear that important news. We pray, once again, for those who died on 9/11 and for the families and friends they left behind.