Home / View from Pope's Hill /

"An Autumn Lullaby"

“A lullaby of Autumn
Serenades the trees
As Summer slowly
bows her head
To scarlet melodies.”
“An Autumn Lullaby”
By Nora Bozeman

We have looked for colored leaves but we think it is a little bit too early. I am sure that the plants on our front porch were chilled with the cool temps this past weekend. Daughter Sue and I sat on the porch looking at photos and finally had to go inside because we were freezing. It took Sue’s legs about five minutes to warm up because she was wearing shorts.

A few weeks ago, we received an invitation in the mail to attend our Cousin Mary’s husband’s 90th birthday celebration. John’s birthday was actually on Aug. 28 but we would be celebrating it on Aug. 31, with a cruise of Boston Harbor. John has his own boat, “Sea Weed”, but the party would be held on the “Boston Belle,” moored in Marina Bay. To make sure we knew where we had to go, Hubby and I drove over to Marina Bay after we finished food shopping. We looked for the “Boston Belle” for more than 30 minutes but could not find it.

As soon as we arrived home, Hubby called cousins Margie and Janet because they eat at Captain Fishbones at Marina Bay fairly often with friends. We figured that they would know. Janet answered and told us that it was right near the restaurant. We were asked to board the boat at 1:45 p.m. so we left home about 1:20 p.m. and parked easily. We met our cousin Bobby’s wife Dorothea and some of John’s family waiting to board. Much to our dismay, we heard from John’s kids that their Mom, our first cousin Mary, would not be able to attend the cruise because she had a stomach virus. We boarded the boat and sat down with Margie and Janet. Dorothea sat next to me and we caught up on our families. We took off from the dock and began our tour of Boston Harbor.
The younger people, along with Hubby, went outside and up on the upper deck. I wasn’t going to budge from my chair because I do not have good sea legs. So Margie, Janet, Dorothea, and I sat and watched John’s daughters fill the dessert table with all kinds of goodies. The cake was magnificent, with ocean “creatures” made of frosting on top of the beautifully blue water-colored frosting. There were shells, sea horses, and fish, all made of frosting, on top of the cake. I asked who made the cake. I was told “Kondeitermeister.” Why was I not surprised! It was also delicious. Someone in the family also made a big batch of scrumptious fudge. It was a little soft on that warm, humid day, but it was fun licking the remnants of the fudge off our fingers. There were wonderful cookies too.

As we were eating, we enjoyed seeing Boston’s coastline from the boat. Castle Island looked beautiful to us although there weren’t that many people walking around it on that murky day. We figured out that the Pier 4 Restaurant was now just a series of metal pipes. We loved looking at the condos along the waterfront, and we could see the Zakim Bridge. I forgot to look for “Old Ironsides.” As we turned around in the harbor, we looked over at Logan Airport and saw the planes coming and going.

We passed around a photo album that one of John’s daughters had made. The first picture was one of John in his Naval uniform, sporting his Bronze Star, which he received at Pearl Harbor. (What a handsome devil he was – and still is – all of us gals agreed.) John still wears his “Submariner” cap and regularly attends the reunions of his group of retired servicemen. Just about 4 p.m., as we returned to Marina Bay, the winds picked up and the temperature cooled off, much to our delight. We pulled back into the dock, just in front of Captain Fishbones. We then saw the sign that said that the “Boston Belle” could be hired for two-hour cruises. If you have an upcoming event, it is a lovely way to spend two hours. The kids especially loved the cruise.

I must tell you the names of the members of John’s family who attended the cruise along with Dorothea. His daughter Marsha and her husband Butch Gortze, with their kids Kim, Coreen, and Krisanne were there, Also his daughter Carol Hopson with her daughter Carla; and their son Johnny with his wife Cathy and their daughter Brandy. Four of the five great-grandchildren were also on the boat: Alexis, Tyler, Sofia, and Caleb. Sad to say, great-grandson Michael became ill on the trip up from the Cape and had to return home. As we walked to our cars, Margie, Janet, Hubby, and I said how much we enjoyed the cruise. What a great place to have a party!

Since we were too late for the 4 p.m. Mass at our church, pal Eileen Collins told us that we could attend the 5:15 Mass at Keystone. We sat way up back in the room so we wouldn’t interfere with the residents’ seats. We were delighted to see that the celebrant of the Mass was our long-time friend, Father Richard Putnam. Father Rick saw us as soon as he came in the room. It is so nice to chat with him, so after Mass, we went up to say hello. We thanked Eileen for allowing us to come to Mass. She told us that she still has a few seats for the senior bus trip to the Twin River Casino on Thurs., Sept. 26, leaving Dorchester at 9 a.m. Call her at 617-929-1176 if you’d like to go. Eileen also told us that she has announced that is running for the presidency of the K Club, beginning in January.

I must tell you something more about our concert on City Hall Plaza with Roberta Flack. Roberta told us that she lived in the same building (The Dakota) as the late John Lennon and Yoko Ono. “Not only did I live in the same building, I lived right across the hall from them.” She also told us that her latest album, which she was selling that evening, comprised all songs by the Beatles. (This was her first album in eight years.) Eleven of the songs were written by Lennon and Paul McCartney: “In My Life,” “Hey Jude,” “We Can Work It Out,” “Let it Be,” “Oh Darling,” “I Should Have Known Better,” “The Long and Winding Road,” “If I Fell,” “I Love Him,” and “Here, There, and Everywhere.” The 12th song, by Harrison, was “Isn’t It a Pity.” She said that the Beatles were wonderful musicians and she loved their music.

If you are over at Castle Island on Sun. morning, Sept. 22, between 10 a.m. and noon, be aware that the Sisters of Notre Dame will have set up a table to accept contributions from the public. The donations will help the sisters’ work in Africa and South America. Please be generous. This is a very worthy cause. This is the fifth annual Jubilee Walk for the sisters. Sister Elizabeth at St. Christopher’s Church has a sponsor sheet. … Speaking of good causes, Dennis Walsh told me that the next Friendship Social, for friends and neighbors with special needs/disabilities, will be held at Florian Hall on Sun., Oct. 6, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. There is a donation of $10 per person, but it is not required. There will be food and dancing. Music will be provided by Joe “Gifted Fingers” Peters and Tony Faunces of “The Platters.” Hubby and I have attended several of those Friendship Socials and have always had a good time. We meet so many nice people here. For more info, call Dennis at 617-694-7990.

I was sorry to read of the death of Edward Joyce on Sept. 2. Ed was known to many in our Pope’s Hill area because he owned the Metro Glass Store on Neponset Avenue (right next to L’il Peach/Tedeschi’s) for many years. He always did great work and was well thought of by local residents. Hubby had to use his services at least twice and was always pleased with his work. The Pope’s Hill Neighborhood Association had attempted to give him an award for all the years he served the Neponset Community and beyond, but that was after he had closed his shop and we were not able to get in touch with him. According to his obituary, Ed spent his last several years at the Boston Home. The PHNA sends its sympathy to his wife Carolyn, and to his children: Michael, Robert, Francis, and Kerri. Donations in his memory may be made to the Boston Home, 2049 Dorchester Ave., Dorchester, 02124. He is still missed in our neighborhood.

For those of you who attended Boston State College, you will be sorry to learn that Dr. William Perrault passed away on Aug. 30 at age 88. Dr. Perrault chaired the Mathematics Department at Boston State College. Hubby took more than several evening math courses with him and loved every one. Hubby told me that Dr. Perrault had sent in suggestions when Massachusetts was considering setting up a state lottery. In 1971, his suggestions were so good that he was asked to be the first executive director of the Mass. Lottery, serving in that position for 12 years. He was truly an exceptional man. I am sure that his former students and fellow faculty members send their sympathy to his family.

Here is a great quote by Aesop: “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”