Menino takes questions on Connolly and snow removal efforts
Asked about City Councillor At-Large John Connolly floating the possibility of a mayoral bid earlier this week, Mayor Thomas Menino said, “No, I have no thoughts about that at all. I’m just doing my job.”
Menino took questions for about five minutes on Thursday before speaking at a rally for summer youth jobs. Speaking from a podium just below the stage and the other speakers, in a set-up similar to the State of the City address, Menino urged attendees to lobby their lawmakers for funding for summer jobs, a top priority of his administration.
At the brief media availability, reporters largely focused on the coming snowstorm, the response to the recent blizzard and the Boston firefighter accused of making threats to his commander – allegations Menino called “very serious.”
Noting the changing forecasts of several inches hitting Boston this weekend, Menino said the city is ready for whatever comes. “I hope it’s rain,” he quipped.
Menino praised the Department of Public Works’ efforts to clear away the snow from the last storm. “Don’t forget, we had 24 inches of snow,” he said.
He added: “Every snowstorm, they have some issues. But as I go around the city talking to people, they say, ‘Hey mayor, you did a pretty good job.’”
Asked about DPW chief Joanne Massaro, Menino said, “She’s a woman who knows what she’s doing.”
Another reporter asked about a City Council hearing set for March 4 focusing on city snow removal efforts. District 4 City Councillor Charles Yancey sent a release earlier this week highlighting the upcoming hearing.
“I look forward to a lot of things Councillor Yancey does,” Menino said of his frequent critic.