Aug. 7, 2013
Changing Boston’s School Committee back from appointed to elected is a dangerous idea. Proponents forget how the old elected school committee usually overspent its budget, handled racial minorities poorly, and used the committee as s political stepping stone to higher office. Even worse, four members were indicted and two convicted of crimes, including one member taking kickback money from bus contractors. Read more
The mayor’s race has rekindled the debate over whether a resort-style casino belongs in the city of Boston. Like candidate Bill Walczak, we are inherently suspect of such a proposition in the first place because the idea of siting such a venture in the capital city seems desperate and, as Walczak has said, “Boston is better than a casino.” Read more
Aug. 7, 2013
The Cedar Grove Civic Association held a special meeting on Tuesday evening to review plans for a proposed Boston Sports Club at 540 Gallivan Boulevard— one of the village’s most prominent properties that also includes an adjacent, privately-owned parking lot that has long been heavily used by neighborhood residents and other businesses. Neighbors see the proposal for a new fitness center as a chance to upgrade and improve safety in the heart of the busy business district.
Boston Sports Club (BSC) intends to open its 31st location in the first floor of the building most recently occupied by a Rite Aid pharmacy. Attorney Larry DiCara, a former Boston City Councillor who is representing Supreme Realty Trust — the business entity that owns the building that will lease space to BSC— presented the plans for the renovations and re-use of the site. Read more
With so many candidates running to become Boston's next mayor, it can be hard for an average voter to keep track of everyone's stance on the big issues of the race. To that end, Dotnews.com is talking to each of the candidates about four of the overarching issues that affect the city: public safety, education, development and the shift away from Mayor Thomas Menino's policies. To see the candidate's full response about how to make Boston safer, just click on the banner above his or her name.
The first part of the series collects the candidates' views on crime and public safety Boston: Read more
Aug. 7, 2013
John Barros's mayoral campaign on Wednesday launched a biographical web video that it said it plans to promote on newspaper and ethnic media websites. The campaign is also purchasing ad space on Twitter and Facebook, it said.
Barros is the former executive director of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative and stepped down from his post on the 7-member School Committee to run for mayor earlier this year.
Aug. 5, 2013
Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley, a candidate for mayor, on Sunday raised questions about the legality of an East Boston-only vote on a Suffolk Downs casino. Conley added that the 13-member City Council should “come to their senses” and move to endorse a city-wide vote. Read more
Aug. 1, 2013
The city's Inspectional Services Department said today that it has extended the deadline for property owners to register their rental units with the city. The deadline, originally set for today, is now Aug. 31, 2013. A new city ordinance requires the annual registration of all private rental units and inspection of all "non-exempt" rental units to be conducted once every five years. The extension is intended "to accommodate some property owners" who have not yet registered. Read more
Aug. 1, 2013
Charlotte Golar Richie shed her sometimes reserved demeanor on Wednesday night, dancing her way to the podium inside Hibernian Hall and pitching her candidacy to a friendly crowd of several hundred supporters.
Before her speech, pictures of her and Mayor Thomas Menino, the man she’s hoping to succeed, were projected onto a screen above the podium — featuring candid shots of the pair during her tenure as his housing chief. Members of Team Menino, like Darryl Smith, a top operative for the mayor in Mattapan and Dorchester, circulated through the crowd. Read more
Menino: Key Uphams Corner parcel should be re-developed; Maxwell site called “lynchpin” to boom along Fairmount Line
A pivotal Uphams Corner property became embroiled in a fast-moving controversy last week after neighbors learned that the city of Boston planned to convert a now-dormant industrial site into a Public Works storage yard. The news prompted outrage and fast action from local stakeholders, who have targeted the three-acre parcel once occupied by the Maxwell Box Company as a “lynchpin” redevelopment project along the Fairmount commuter rail corridor.
The 120,000-square foot property — which sits adjacent to the Uphams Corner station on the Fairmount Line— is today a sprawling warren of run-down warehouses. But its proximity to the commuter rail stop makes it a prime location for so-called “transit-oriented development.” The site is owned by the city of Boston, which took control of it in 2010 after a protracted standoff with the previous owner over unpaid taxes. Read more