Aug. 11, 2010
The candidates are crisscrossing the district. They’re opening campaign headquarters on Blue Hill Avenue and Washington Street and announcing a steady stream of endorsements.
But the race to replace retiring state Rep. Willie Mae Allen and to become the next state representative from the Sixth Suffolk District, an area that includes parts of Dorchester, Mattapan, Hyde Park and slivers of Roslindale and Jamaica Plain, has largely been a quiet affair. The first full-blown forum of the campaign, planned by the civic nonprofit MassVOTE, is scheduled for Aug. 26. Read more
Aug. 11, 2010
Julie Burns, who announced last week that she was resigning as the city’s director of Arts, Tourism and Special Events, was accused of racial discrimination when she fired the manager of the Strand Theatre in 2006, a complaint that the Menino Administration quietly settled less than four months ago.
Neither Burns nor Mayor Tom Menino made any reference to the complaint, which was upheld by the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, when Burns made known she was leaving the city job that she had held since 2006 to join Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
“Julie has done a wonderful job for the city of Boston, from organizing championship victory parades to bringing a great variety of cultural events to City Hall Plaza,” said Menino in a statement. “I am grateful for her hard work and wish Julie all the best in her new endeavor.” Read more
Former state Sen. Dianne Wilkerson and prosecutors are asking a federal judge to move up her sentencing date to Sept. 14.
The sentencing is currently scheduled for Sept. 21. Read more
Former state Rep. Nelson Merced is endorsing Carlos Henriquez in the Fifth Suffolk District race, Henriquez told Lit Drop on Thursday night. Read more
MassVOTE, a nonprofit civic education organization, is joining up with 32 other nonprofits in sponsoring forums with candidates running in the Fifth Suffolk and Sixth Suffolk House districts. Forums on the Second Suffolk Senate district are also planned. Read more
Aug. 3, 2010
STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, AUG. 3, 2010….....Speaker Robert DeLeo declared the critical-condition gambling bill still breathing Tuesday morning, as Plainridge Racecourse laid off 157 workers and blamed Gov. Deval Patrick’s refusal to support racetrack slot machines.
DeLeo said Patrick’s decision to send expanded gambling legislation back with an amendment effectively killed the prospect of 15,000 jobs, but on Tuesday morning said the bill is not dead though its prospects are “very difficult.” Read more
Aug. 2, 2010
BOSTON, AUG. 2, 2010……As expanded gambling legislation formally arrived on his desk Monday, Gov. Deval Patrick reversed course on his approval of a single racetrack slot facility and said he would immediately return the bill with an amendment to approve gambling at resort casinos but not stand-alone slots facilities.
"I am done with that," Patrick said during a campaign-related press conference in Boston, referring to racetrack slots, his proclamation further rattling the political discord over the legislation that became increasingly apparent in the past five days. Referring to casinos, Patrick said, "Let's enact what we agree on." Read more
Aug. 1, 2010
STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, AUG. 1, 2010…...The gambling bill lawmakers sent Gov. Deval Patrick late Saturday contains language that appears to empower the governor to bypass legislative intent on the chief point of disagreement by granting a panel he would control the option of not sanctioning any slot machine facility licenses at all. Read more
Jul. 31, 2010
Gov. Deval Patrick withheld support Friday for a three-casino, two-racino compromise reached by legislative leaders in time for a vote Saturday, calling the restriction of the racino license bidding to racetracks unacceptable. Read more
Jul. 30, 2010
House and Senate negotiators reached a deal late Thursday on legislation restricting the public life of criminal offense records and striking most of the Senate’s efforts to provide reduced sentences for non-violent offenders, according to sources familiar with the compromise.
The Senate backed off its push to make non-violent state prison convicts eligible for parole after serving two-thirds of their sentences, while the House relented in allowing non-violent house of correction inmates parole after two-thirds of their sentences, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity. Read more