The Boston Fire Department reports a two-alarm fire that started due to poorly maintained ducts did an estimated $400,000 in damage to a block of stores at 772 Blue Hill Ave.
The department says the fire, reported around 2:45 a.m. on Tuesday, was caused by a kitchen fire at the Yong Hon Chinese take-out place: "Specifically the hot gases from the stove caused a fire in the ductwork that was not cleaned properly."
In addition to Yong Hon, the fire damaged a Jamaican take-out place, a convenience store and a hair salon.
The Boston Licensing Board recently rejected Yong Hon's request to stay open until 2:30 a.m.
In 2007, two firefighters died battling a similar grease fire at the Tai Ho Chinese restaurant in West Roxbury.