Public Safety

WIC benefits switch to debit card system this month

By 
Colleen Quinn, State House News Service
Oct. 14, 2014

Poor women in Massachusetts who rely on federal assistance to buy milk, cereal and other specified food items for themselves and their children will no longer have to worry that everyone around them in the grocery store checkout line knows they receive aid.

Massachusetts this month began to switch from paper checks to debit-like cards for the federal nutritional assistance program that helps more than 125,000 women, infants and children in the state.  Read more

DA: Dorchester boy likely murdered by father, who killed himself

By 
Staff
Oct. 14, 2014

Destin Marcelin, 6, died in a Dorchester apartment last month when his father, Patrick Marcelin, smothered or strangled him - or maybe both, Boston Police and the Suffolk County District Attorney's office report.

Marcelin then slashed his wrists, then plunged a knife into his chest after opening the door of a Mattapan apartment to police after they had tracked him down two days later.  Read more

Officials: Risk of Ebola spreading in Mass is low

By 
Andy Metzger, State House News Service
Oct. 14, 2014

Mayor Martin Walsh, flanked by Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Police Commissioner William Evans, spoke at a Tuesday morning press conference at Logan Airport. Photo by Isabel Leon/Mayor's office

Gov. Deval Patrick emphasized the relative safety of getting close to Ebola-infected patients, while state and local officials maintained the state is well equipped to handle cases of the virus that has spread death and devastation through three countries in West Africa.

"If I had Ebola, the commissioner standing right here would be at minimum risk of catching it, if any, if any," Gov. Deval Patrick said, standing next to Department of Public Health Commissioner Cheryl Bartlett at a Logan International Airport press conference Tuesday morning. "This is hard to catch. She would have to touch my blood or other bodily fluids . . . and don't."  Read more

Mattapan native charged with murder in New York City

Hughes
Hughes

The Boston Police Department reports arresting a woman who was wanted for a Sept. 21 murder in Brooklyn.

The department's fugitive squad found and arrested Chivona Hughes, 32, in her old neighborhood, along Blue Hill Avenue in Mattapan, police say.

Police in New York had been searching for Hughes for a Sept. 21 murder in which the victim was stabbed 75 times in the chest and head.  Read more

State transportation chief Richard Davey stepping down

By 
Matt Murphy, State House News Service
Oct. 10, 2014

Transportation Secretary Richard Davey, the longest serving of the governor's the four transportation chiefs, plans to resign at the end of October, leaving the administration two months before the end of Gov. Deval Patrick's tenure.

Davey informed the governor of his decision late last month, and plans to depart on Nov. 1, becoming the second Cabinet official to leave the administration since Patrick asked his top lieutenants to commit in early 2013 to another two years to see the administration through to the end.

"It's time," Davey told the News Service. "I'm going to take some time to travel a little bit with my wife and start to think about what's next for my career. But we have a window to travel now, and I know the governor understands."  Read more

Neponset Greenway update: Phase 2 construction set to begin

A rendering shows what a connection of the Neponset Greenway near the gas tank on Dorchester Bay would look like.

Construction on the second of three phases of the Neponset River Greenway will soon get under way as the project to connect Readville’s Martini Shell to South Boston’s Castle Island continues on schedule and on budget, according to Jack Murray, the commissioner of the state’s Department of Conservation and Recreation.

“This has been a real priority of the governor’s,” Murray told the Reporter. “He’s directed us to get this project in the ground before the end of his term and we’re working hard to make it happen.”  Read more

Former Neponset funeral home director charged with flurry of crimes

By 
Staff
Oct. 8, 2014

Joseph V. O'Donnell. Photo courtesy Suffolk County DA's Office

A former Neponset funeral home director has been named in a "sweeping, 278-count indictment" charging him with illegally storing dead bodies for years in a storage facility while bilking customers out of tens of thousands of dollars in pre-payments for burials that never happened. Joseph V. O'Donnell, 56, is also alleged to have operated his family-owned funeral home without a license in over 200 funerals and cremations.  Read more

A Northeast earthquake apocalypse? Best to be ready

Image courtesy USGS

At 10:16 a.m. next Thursday, Oct. 16, employees and school kids from across the region will be asked to “drop, cover, and hold on” under their desks a la the 1950s when the maneuver was seriously and widely practiced as a defensive measure against an atomic bomb attack by Joseph Stalin’s Soviet Union.

No Stalin and no bomb this time. State officials want Massachusetts residents to join next week in a national earthquake preparedness exercise that has been dubbed the Great Northeast ShakeOut. The under-the-desk-quickly drill is meant to get people thinking about what they’d do to stay alive in the event that they don’t get pulverized in the initial tectonic take-down.  Read more

Man shot outside Ashmont station; suspect in custody

By 
Staff
Oct. 6, 2014

A suspect was arrested Monday night after a man was shot on Dorchester Avenue just outside Ashmont MBTA station. The victim, who was shot in the stomach, was transported to Boston Medical Center with what first responders described as "serious" injuries.

The 6:30 p.m. shooting left the station cordoned off with buses and commuters stuck as police swarmed the area. A description of the suspect, described as a black male wearing a black hoodie, white undershirt, white shoes and hat was quickly broadcast to officers. Around 8:30 p.m. Boston Police told the Reporter that a suspect was in custody for allegedly shooting the victim at "point-blank" range with a .45 calibre gun. The suspect was previously known to police and his image was captured by surveillance cameras.  Read more

Mattapan man sentenced to prison for distributing child porn on the Internet

Luis Miguel Gonzalez-Buzetta, 22, was sentenced this week to nine years in prison and permanent status as a sex offender, after he pleaded guilty earlier this year to child-exploitation charges related to the more than 6,000 sexually explicit photos and videos of young girls federal agents found on his computers, the US Attorney's office reports.

The FBI began investigating Gonzalez-Buzetta, 22, in 2013 after his e-mail address turned up on the computer of an Oregon man who was himself under investigation for distributing child porn - including photos of his own daughter.  Read more