Eight year-old Martin Richard, who was killed in last week's bomb attack at the Boston Marathon, has been laid to rest in a private ceremony, according to a statement issued by the family today.
"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," Denise and Bill Richard said. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal.
"A private Funeral Mass was celebrated this morning with immediate family. We laid our son Martin to rest, and he is now at peace. We plan to have a public memorial service in the coming weeks to allow friends and loved ones from our community to join us for a celebration of Martin’s life.” Read more
Apr. 23, 2013
The Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) will offer free counseling to anyone affected by last week's attacks at a new drop-in center located at 729 Massachusetts Ave. Trained clinicians will be on-site to speak with anyone that needs to talk. It will be open daily from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Friday of this week.
The drop-in center will offer one-on-one time with trained clinicians as well as facilitation of group conversations. Groups from a particular workplace or community affected by the attack are welcome and encouraged to visit the drop-in center together. Read more
Apr. 19, 2013
The Richard family issued the following statement tonight:
Our family wishes to salute the thousands of officers and agents from the Boston, Cambridge and Watertown Police & Fire Departments, Massachusetts State Police, FBI, ATF, and other police departments and agencies who worked and collaborated around the clock to bring the perpetrators of Monday’s attack to justice. We also thank the citizens and businesses that shared images and footage with investigators in hopes of advancing the investigation. Read more
Apr. 19, 2013
With one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects dead and the other suspect on the loose, state and local officials asked people in Boston and several inner suburbs Friday morning to remain at home with doors locked.
“There is a massive manhunt underway. A lot of law enforcement involved in that,” Gov. Deval Patrick told reporters from a televised briefing in Watertown.
Apr. 19, 2013
City advisory issued at 8:10 a.m.: "The City of Boston is urging City-wide shelter in place. As this investigation unfolds we are advising all residents, citywide, to shelter in place. Please understand we have an armed and dangerous person(s) still at large and police actively pursuing every lead in this active emergency event. Please be patient and use common sense until this person(s) are apprehended. We will continue to update the public with more information as it becomes available. All MBTA service remains suspended at this time."
(Thurs., April 18, 6:30p.m.)- After days of investigation, a just-released Boston Fire Department report concludes that Monday's fire at the JFK Library on Columbia Point was caused by "careless disposal of smoking material." The report closes the door on any continued link to the terror attack in Boston's Back Bay- which took place just minutes before the fire alarms activated at the presidential library. Read more
The playground at Tenean Beach has been ordered closed immediately due to damage caused by tidal flooding earlier this year that has made the surface of the play area unsafe. The determination was made after a safety inspection this week. Read more
Apr. 16, 2013
Thousands of grieving neighbors gathered Tuesday evening at Neponset's Garvey Park — where 8-year-old Martin Richard once played with friends —to mourn his death and his family's injuries in Monday's horrific bomb attack along the Boston Marathon route in Copley Square. Attendees held candles and American flags to show support for the Dorchester family and other victims.
Denise Richards, Martin's mother, suffered a head injury during the blast, and his younger sister Jane, 7, lost her leg. In a statement issued earlier today, Bill Richard — Martin's dad— asked for privacy at this time. Read more
A South Boston forum that was set for Tuesday night in the race to replace former state Sen. Jack Hart has been postponed until April 25. The forum, put together by several South Boston-based civic organizations, is set for the new date with the same time (6:30 pm) and the same location, the Lithuanian Club at 368 West Broadway.
Garry Murad, who will be the moderator, said several of the candidates felt it was inappropriate to hold the forum so soon after the Boston Marathon bombings. Read more
(Updated, 1 p.m.)- A beloved Dorchester family watching the Boston Marathon near the finish line in Copley Square was caught in one of two bomb blasts that exploded on Monday afternoon. Martin Richard, 8, was killed in the explosion, while his sister Jane, 7, suffered a grievous injury to her leg. Their mom, Denise, was also badly hurt in the blast and underwent emergency surgery yesterday to save her life.
In a statement issued through a spokesman today, Martin's father Bill Richard said, "My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston. My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries.
"We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover. Thank you.”
Word of the injuries spread quickly through the Richard family's tight-knit Ashmont-Adams neighborhood, where both parents are known and respected as civic leaders. Bill Richard served as board chairman of the St. Mark's Area Main Street group and has played a key role in the transformation of Peabody Square over the last decade. The family is deeply involved in all facets of life in Dorchester, from little league baseball and soccer to their church, St. Ann's parish in Neponset. Read more