Arrest made in connection with Mattapan murders

WashingtonWashingtonA man already facing at least two assault and battery charges in Boston was arrested in Manchester NH on charges of illegal possession of a firearm and receiving stolen property related to Tuesday's quadruple murders.

The Manchester Police Department reports Kimani Washington was arrested without incident around 6 p.m. on Friday:

"Officers responded to 69 Eastern Ave in Manchester, an apartment complex in close proximity to exit eight of route 93. Task force detectives were looking to arrest a subject identified as Kimani Washington 35 years old from Boston. When officers made contact with Mr. Washington he was cooperative and submitted to his arrest without incident. He was charged as a Fugitive from Justice on felony warrants out of the State of Massachusetts.:

Boston Police Department records show that Washington, who lives at 45 Fowler St., was arrested twice this year on charges of assault and battery, first for an incident May 26 at 71 Kingsdale St. in Dorchester and then on July 26 for an incident at 95 Fowler St.

In a press conference Saturday afternoon, Police Commissioner Ed Davis said his officers actually had Washington in for questioning just a couple hours after the murders - because one cop noticed him skulking around what turned out to be the getaway car at Blue Hill Avenue and Warren Street - and that Washington even admitted being in the car and handed over the key.

But, Davis continued, police had to let him go because of insufficient evidence - the car did not quite match the description given by victim Marcus Hurd before he lapsted into unconsciousness. It would be another 12 hours before investigators could produce enough evidence tying the car, and Washington, to the murder scene.

Davis said officers went to Washington's last known address in Boston - 45 Fowler St. in Dorchester - where they found two guns, ammunition, marijuana and a scale - but no Washington.

With the help of the US Marshal's office in Boston, Davis said, police tracked Washington to Manchester, NH, where he was arrested around 6 p.m. yesterday on a variety of weapons and marijuana-distribution charges, as well as receiving stolen property. However, he was not charged with the murder. Davis said the investigation into the murders continues and said it was too early to say if Washington would be charged with a more active role in the murder of three adults and one toddler and the critical wounding of a fifth person.