Improper indoor use of gas-powered saw forces evacuation of apartment building

Boston Fire Department crews evacuated the four-story apartment building at 16 Algonquin St. around 8 a.m. Friday after workers set off carbon-monoxide alarms by running a gas-powered saw in the basement.

No residents required medical treatment, and the CO levels dropped as soon as the workers turned the device off, the department says. The department says they had a permit to remove an old boiler but that they should never have used that kind of saw indoors.