Man arrested for South Boston housebreak now also charged with wedding-limo carjacking, housebreak

The Boston Police Department reports a man arrested inside a South Boston woman's apartment for housebreaking last night also faces charges for a series of incidents on Saturday that ended with one homeowner chasing him for several blocks until he got into a limo bearing bridesmaids and drove off.

Police say an Orton Marotta Way resident called last night to report her apartment had apparently been broken into - she returned home to find an open window shut and the shade drawn. Police say when officers entered, they found Joseph Ghella, 45, inside.

Ghella was charged with unarmed breaking and entering in the nighttime and is wanted on numerous outstanding warrants in Lynn, police say.

Today, police also charged him with breaking and entering, assault by means dangerous weapon, carjacking, larceny of motor vehicle and assault and battery, breaking and entering, assault by means of dangerous weapon, carjacking and larceny of motor vehicle. These are all in connection with Saturday's events, which began when a Howes Street resident found a man inside his house around 1:30 p.m. - and then chased him to Columbia Road and Dorchester Avenue, where, police say, he punched and pushed a limo driver out of his vehicle, ordered the six bridesmaids in the back out and took off toward South Boston.

Ghella already has dozens of arrests on his record. Ironically, police actually arrested him on Oct. 31 for breaking and entering on Washington Street in West Roxbury, according to a police log by Wicked Local West Roxbury, which listed his address as Orton Marotta Way in South Boston. Jake Wark, spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney's office, says Ghella was actually arrested in connection with a Lynn housebreak by Boston Police and that he was released on personal recognizance at his arraignment in West Roxbury District Court.

At his arraignment today on the South Boston breaking-and-entering case, Ghella was ordered held in lieu of $25,000 bail, Wark said. He is scheduled to return to court on Dec. 1.


Subscribe to the Dorchester Reporter