Former state Rep. Carlos Henriquez last week resigned from a post in Mayor Martin Walsh’s administration days after his appointment came under scrutiny and criticism from the Boston Globe. Henriquez was forced from his elected House office in 2014 after he was convicted and jailed for assaulting a woman, a charge that he continues to dispute.
A story and subsequent editorial in the Globe revealed that Henriquez had been hired as a “special assistant for community engagement” with a focus on anti-violence. In a statement issued last Friday, Mayor Walsh said he accepted Henriquez’s resignation.
“When Carlos Henriquez was convicted of assault five years ago, I made clear to all that I believed it was the appropriate thing for him to immediately relinquish his seat in the State Legislature. I also made clear at that time, and continue to believe today, that any violence against any woman at any time is totally unacceptable.
“That said, I also believe in second chances. My own life in public service has been made possible because of them. Before appointing him to his current position, I and many others who have engaged with him since his release have come to believe Carlos strongly shares the belief in the important role the city can and should play in protecting, intervening on the behalf of, and promoting the interests of our residents regarding these vital issues in our communities. That’s why I appointed him to this position. Carlos has offered his resignation, and I have accepted it. I will move quickly to fill this position to ensure that this important work continues unabated.”