Man who shot two state troopers in 1988 arrested on gun charges on Columbia Road

Boston Police report a traffic stop at Columbia Road and Washington Street in Dorchester yesterday ended with the arrest of two men - one of whom served a lengthy prison sentence for shooting two state troopers on Blue Hill Avenue.

Police say drug-control officers monitoring the area shortly after 2 p.m. yesterday spotted a car go through a red light at that intersection:

"Officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop, and while the motor vehicle initially stopped, the operator fled into a parking lot in the area. Officers observed the male passenger suddenly exit the vehicle and flee on foot while clutching an apparent object in his waistband.

"Following a brief pursuit, officers were able to apprehend the male suspect and recover a black Sar-Arms semi-automatic 9mm firearm loaded with 24 live rounds of ammunition. A second magazine containing 9 rounds of live ammunition was recovered at the scene as well. During the apprehension of the male passenger, the operator of the motor vehicle had also fled the area, but was located and placed under arrest.

Alonzo Dedrick, 55, of Dorchester, was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawful possession of a high-capacity feeding device, unlawful possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, possession of Class B drugs with intent to distribute and resisting arrest. He was also charged with being an armed career criminal, which could mean longer sentences on the other charges if he is convicted. Frank Cinelli, 46, was charged with speeding and failing to stop for a police officer.

In 1988, a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted Dedrick of shooting two state troopers conducting a drug investigation on Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester.

Dedrick was supposed to meet one undercover trooper on Blue Hill Avenue, possibly to sell him cocaine, but slid into the car of another undercover trooper monitoring the first. He began punching her in the face and managed to wrest her gun away, according to a Massachusetts Appeals Court decision that summarizes the case - and which rejected his request for a new trial.

Dedrick ran away, with the gun, and when she followed and tackled him, shot her twice in the legs. The first trooper also chased him and Dedrick shot him as well - with one bullet lodging two inches from heart - but he still kept pursuing him and, with the help of four other troopers also involved in the investigation, subdued him.

Following his conviction on five counts related to the shootings, a judge sentenced Dedrick to 33 to 50 years in state prison - but with the possibility of parole after 22 years.