Man dead, two shot after shootout, confrontation with police

A man was killed Friday morning after exchanging gunfire with police responding to reports of an earlier shooting, officials said.

Boston Police officers arrived at the 107 Devon St. around 10:25 a.m., police said. They were called for a double shooting occurring inside the red-sided three-decker, and found two men around the corner near the intersection of Stanwood and Laredo streets.

One man appeared to be shot in the leg, police said, and was leaning against the other man, later identified as 29-year-old Peter Fanfan of Boston.

Fanfan raised the revolver in his hand, pointing it at the approaching officers. Police Commissioner William Evans said Friday that police told Fanfan to drop his gun, repeating the command twice more and telling him to show his hands.

Instead, a gun battle erupted and Fanfan was shot to death.

"Nobody likes to take a life, but if you're going to point a gun at an officer the way he did, obviously we're going to neutralize the threat," Evans said.

No officers were hit, Evans said. Police recovered a gun at the scene and found a second victim inside the Devon Street apartment suffering from gunshot wounds.

Community leaders shown video of the incident at police headquarters Saturday told the Boston Globe it appeared clear that Fanfan opened fire first.

The Office of Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley is conducting an investigation into the shooting. Assistant District Attorney John Verner is leading the investigation, according to a statement from Conley's office.

Fanfan has a lengthy criminal record, including 57 arraignments on his record and two stretches in prison for gun convictions. His most recent address was in Dorchester, according to the district attorney’s office.

A spokesman for the office said Tuesday that no one has been arraigned in either the initial apartment shooting or that of Fanfan.

Note: This story was updated 2/18 with the identity of the victim and progress on the case.


Subscribe to the Dorchester Reporter