Man wanted for sexual assault in restroom of Dorchester Avenue bar

A man who'd been creeping on a group of woman at dbar followed one into the restroom and sexually assaulted her after she came out of a stall the night of July 21, a BPD officer told the Boston Licensing Board on Tuesday.

BPD Officer Paul Delaney said a group of women arrived at the bar between 10:30 and 10:45 p.m. They stayed to themselves, but one of them noticed this guy kept looking their way. And he kept to the dark parts of the bar, she told police. At one point, he came over, sat next to her and tried to get her interested in him, but she told him she wasn't interested, Delaney said.

Then, she got up to use the bar's unisex restroom. Delaney said she reported she got into a stall and had to keep the stall door closed with one hand because the latch wouldn't work. The guy walked in, he said. And she had to decide whether to try to stay in the stall or try to leave, he said. She chose to leave, only he grabbed her by the wrist, pulled her to him, kissed her on the mouth and began groping her - even as he started suggesting they exchange Snapchats on their phones - Delaney said.

She struggled with him the whole time, and just as she'd managed to at least get him at arm's length, a friend of hers, concerned by how long she'd been away, came into the restroom and got her completely away from the guy, Delaney said.

He added that as the woman and most of her friends went out to the patio, where she "broke down crying," one friend told a bouncer the guy had just accosted her friend and pointed out the guy. The bouncer, Delaney said, escorted the man outside and watched until he got into a ten-year-old Acura RL and drove away.

At issue for the licensing board is why nobody at dbar called police to respond to the incident - they found out when the woman came into District C-11 in Dorchester the next day to report it, Delaney said.

Mitchell Hayes, a member of the management team at the company that owns dbar, said at the time nobody at dbar realized just how bad the situation was, because nobody communicated the exact nature of what the guy had done in the restroom to either the bouncer or the manager. Instead, they thought the guy was a creeper, not an attacker, and said the victim and the other women remained at the bar until about 1 a.m., dancing. He said the bar manager did talk to her to see if she were OK and needed anything, and she said no, he said.

Bar attorney Dennis Quilty said one of the friends returned to the bar the next day - she had left her credit card behind - and thanked the manager she talked to for the way the bar handled the incident.

"I feel terrible that happened in our restaurant," Hayes said after hearing Delaney read his report. "I feel terrible. ... I wish we knew. It would've been 100 percent different if we would've called police immediately."

He added that when police came to investigate, dbar gave them some video that showed the man in the bar - and that dbar itself now has a photo of him from that video so that if he ever returns, somebody will immediately call police.

The licensing board meets Thursday to decide whether dbar deserves any punishment for its handling of the incident.



Subscribe to the Dorchester Reporter