BPD officer kills suspect after officer stabbed near Hancock Street

A 48-year-old man was shot by a Boston Police Department (BPD) officer in Dorchester early Saturday morning around 2:40 a.m., after the man allegedly stabbed another officer in the middle of Glendale Street – a side-street off of Hancock Street.

Two officers were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, and the male suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

Interim BPD Commissioner Greg Long said Area C-11 officers responded to the scene in the 20th block of Glendale Street just after 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning for reports of a man screaming in the street and someone calling for help. It was in that response that things went haywire fast, said Long.

“Upon arrival, officers encountered a male approximately in his late-40s brandishing a knife,” he said. “During this encounter, the male suspect stabbed one of the responding officers in the upper torso. Another officer that was on scene discharged his weapon towards the suspect striking the suspect."

Long continued: "The suspect was subsequently pronounced on scene. Two officers were taken to local hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. This is a very active investigation.”

He said the situation was a reminder of how things can escalate without warning when police respond to an incident.

“This is a reminder of the dangers officers face every day and how quickly events can unfold when officers respond to a call,” he said.

Officers were interviewing witnesses and processing the crime scene well into the morning hours after sunrise, and streets in the area were blocked off for many hours – causing some disruption to drivers and the MBTA.

Police said they had no motive for what caused the man to be in the street with a knife, that information coming when reporters asked if there had been a party or family event that took place leading up to the incident.

Officers did say they were interviewing several witnesses but would not say how many.

Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden was on scene and said his team would now take over the investigation, and that officers involved would be interviewed thoroughly.

“We have a team in place here…and we will conduct an active and thorough investigation,” he said in a brief statement on scene. “We’ll follow every protocol and procedure and let that lead us to where the facts take us.”


Subscribe to the Dorchester Reporter