When Mayor Thomas Menino said he would not attempt to add another four-year term to his 20-year tenure, there was little doubt that Dorchester state Rep. Marty Walsh would take a crack at the seat opening up on City Hall’s fifth floor.
On Saturday, before a crowd of over 1,000 supporters at the Strand Theatre, Walsh strode onto the stage and looked out into the audience, his voice straining with emotion as he recounted his life story.
Mary Walsh, his mother, stood off to his left. “He’s always talked about running for mayor,” she said, after the confetti cannons belched out the red, white, and blue ticker tape. “He always talked about politics.” Read more
Community activist John Barros kicked off his mayoral bid on Thursday, officially entering the already crowded field.
The former executive director of the Massachusetts Democratic Party will manage City Councillor At-Large Felix Arroyo’s mayoral campaign. Clare Kelly, who has also worked as Gov. Deval Patrick’s field director in his 2010 reelection campaign, is a North End resident.
“I am thrilled that Clare Kelly has signed on to lead our campaign. She was my first and only choice because she is the best choice,” Arroyo said in a statement. “She has impressive grassroots campaign experience and knows that a grassroots effort isn't just a smart way to campaign, it's the right way to campaign.” Read more
Apr. 24, 2013
Candidates hoping to succeed Mayor Thomas Menino slowly returned to the campaign trail this week after most of them had suspended campaign activities following last week’s Boston Marathon bombings.
Suffolk District Attorney Dan Conley appeared at a First Suffolk State Senate forum organized by DotOUT, a group of LGBT activists from Dorchester. He worked his way through the crowd at Savin Bar before heading out to another event. And District 8 City Councillor Michael Ross, also a candidate for mayor, came by as the Monday night forum was winding down. Read more
Former state Rep. Charlotte Golar Richie, a former aide to Mayor Thomas Menino and Gov. Deval Patrick, will be a candidate for mayor, sources tell the Reporter. Read more
The number of people who have applied for mayoral nomination papers grew to 13 on Thursday, with Hassan Williams, who unsuccessfully challenged state Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz in 2010, joining the pack. Read more
A city councillor at-large and the former chief executive of a Dorchester hospital entered the Boston mayoral sweepstakes over the last week, bringing to eight the number of candidates who have said they hope to succeed Thomas Menino.
Savin Hill’s Bill Walczak, who founded the Codman Square Health Center and briefly ran Carney Hospital, and Jamaica Plain’s Felix Arroyo, who was elected to the City Council in 2009, announced their candidacies, taking their names off the list of potential candidates and placing them in the burgeoning field of contenders. Read more
Michelle Wu’s kick-off of her City Council At-Large bid drew a who’s who of Boston politicos to the South End on Tuesday night. She was introduced by her former law professor, US Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who called Wu a “young woman who is the future.” Read more
Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley is in: His campaign put out a statement below on Wednesday afternoon.
Boston is a great city, and with the right leadership and vision, its best days are still ahead. So today I am officially declaring that I am a candidate for Mayor of Boston.
Mar. 21, 2013
Attendees of a Wednesday night rally for City Councillor At-Large John Connolly’s mayoral bid were served a blistering critique of the Menino administration with a side of Bad Rabbits. About 400 people, some of them spilling out into the Omni Parker House Hotel’s second floor hallway, crowded the small Press Room for the rally and a performance put on by the Boston-based band. Read more