John Barros to join Mayor's race

John Barros

John Barros will join the race for Mayor of Boston on Thursday morning after much speculation about a potential bid.

Barros, 47, stepped down as Boston’s chief of Economic Development last week amid transitions across the board at City Hall.

Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s last official day as Mayor of Boston has yet to be announced as he and his team await his confirmation as Secretary of Labor. City Council President Kim Janey has spent the last several weeks assembling a transition team as she will serve as acting mayor once Walsh leaves.

Meanwhile, Councillors Michelle Wu, Andrea Campbell and Annissa Essaibi George and Rep. Jon Santiago have all been actively campaigning and preparing to gather signatures in order to get on the ballot for the mayoral primary in September.

It will be Barros' second mayoral bid in the last decade.

During his first run in 2013, Barros told the Reporter that he wanted to be the “candidate that says to business owners: ‘I understand how difficult it is to run a business.’ We have had to figure out how to pay bills, we have had delinquent taxes that we have had to get on plans for.”

Barros failed to make it past the September primary, ultimately finishing sixth in a field of 12 candidates. Shortly after the primary he publicly endorsed Walsh alongside other former mayoral hopefuls Felix Arroyo and Charlotte Golar Richie.

“Marty is the right candidate for making sure all of Boston participates in our economy,” Barros told the Reporter at the time.

Barros has previously served as the executive director of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative.

Barros, who is of Cape Verdean descent, grew up in Roxbury and now lives in Dorchester with his family. He is a graduate of Boston College High School and Dartmouth College. He also hold as Master's in Public Policy from Tufts University. He and his wife Tchintcia and their four children live in Dorchester's Uphams Corner section.