Former Dorchester resident charged with Danube Street murder

Grayson (photo via Manchester, NH police).

The Boston Police Department reports arresting a man originally from Dorchester on charges he fatally shot a man on Danube Street in a shootout following an argument Sunday night.

Ira Grayson, 35, currently of Manchester, NH, was ordered held without bail at his arraignment on Tuesday for the death of Stacy Coleman, 33.

He was himself injured in the exchange of gunfire, but was able to get himself to a local emergency room for treatment, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's office.

Grayson was arrested around 10 a.m. the morning after the murder and three weeks before he was scheduled for a hearing in federal court in Manchester on whether he should be returned to federal prison for violating terms of his probation on a gun charge by pushing a woman of his acquaintance in the face in January.

That hearing was originally scheduled for March 15, but was continued until May 15 and then again until July 15. Probation and the US Attorney's office for New Hampshire agreed to let Grayson remain free while awaiting the hearing.

The DA's office provided a brief account of the events leading up to Coleman's death from a gunshot wound to the chest around 8:35 p.m .on Sunday:

"During the course of the investigation, Boston Police detectives assigned to the Homicide Unit learned that Mr. Grayson and Mr. Coleman were both present at an outdoor gathering on Danube Street when they became involved in an altercation. ADA [Jennifer] Hickman told the court that there were two firearms involved in the altercation, and Mr. Grayson admitted himself to an area hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the arm. He was in possession of illicit drugs at the time of his arrest at the hospital."

Grayson is next scheduled to appear in local court on Aug. 20.

Grayson, who has a long record of gun and domestic-violence arrests and convictions in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

In September, 2019, he was released to four years of probation after serving a 42-month federal sentence for being a felon in possession of a firearm - a charge that came about after he and some friends drove from Dorchester to a Manchester firing range in 2014 and shot off Uzis.

He posted video to his Facebook page and members of the Boston Police gang unit spotted that, launching an investigation that ended with a guilty plea in federal court in New Hampshire.

As a convicted felon, he was not supposed to go anywhere near guns, even for what his attorney described as a "benign" thing, as "a form of entertainment, akin to "going to a carnival arcade."

The first six months of his sentence was served concurrently with a sentence out of Lynn District Court on a domestic-violence charge.

The alleged shoving incident was actually the second time Grayson had gotten into trouble while on probation for the federal gun charge.

Last September, Manchester police arrested him for driving an ATV erratically through the streets of the city, at one point right at a police officer in a cruiser, whom he allegedly flipped off. He was charged with riot, disobeying an officer and OUI.

After that incident, the federal probation office recommended to a judge that he be allowed to remain free on "supervised release," but that he be ordered to be periodically tested for alcohol for 60 days. A federal judge agreed.

On January 9 of this year, however, Manchester police charged Grayson with domestic assault after the alleged face-shoving incident.

On Jan. 19, a federal probation officer in New Hampshire asked a federal judge to revoke Grayson's probation and sentence him to additional time in federal prison for violating his probation.

At a hearing on Feb. 23, a magistrate judge initially set a hearing for March 15 on whether to revoke his probation. The court docket for his case does not explain the reason for the three delays.



Subscribe to the Dorchester Reporter